Yuki-chan Gets An OVA!
It was announced in a flyer at AnimeJapan 2015 that the spin-off series for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series, The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, will be getting an OVA at the end of its television run, which was also announced to be 16 episodes in length. In my experience, this is a somewhat unusual length for a show (typically single season runs are between 12 and 14 episodes), not that I’m complaining. The original Japanese voice cast from Melancholy will also be reprising their roles for the spin-off:
- Minori Chihara as Yuki Nagato
- Tomokazu Sugita as Kyon
- Natsuko Kuwatani as Ryoko Asakura
- Yuko Goto as Mikuru Asahina
- Yuki Matsuoka as Tsuruya-san
- Minoru Shiraishi as Taniguchi
- Megumi Matsumoto as Kunikida
- Daisuke Ono as Itsuki Koizumi
- Aya Hirano as Haruhi Suzumiya
Yuki-chan takes place in the parallel world explored in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya story arc, where all the characters have lead (relatively) normal lives as ordinary people. It begins with a floundering Literature Club, consisting of only Yuki Nagato and Ryoko Asakura, needing to recruit more members to keep from being shut down.